You can’t wait to start dipping your toes in your new in ground swimming pool and you are so excited to decide on a shape, where exactly you’ll break ground, and what materials you want to use to set your pool apart. However, before you can get too far down the line, you need to decide how deep you would like your pool to be! The question might have a simple answer for your family, but it is deceptively difficult to decide. Here are some ways to determine what pool depth is right for you!
What Will Your Pool Be Used For?
One of the biggest factors is, of course, what exactly your family will be using the pool for.
- For optimal swimming, water should be at least 3.5 feet deep to allow for a full range of motion without any accidental scrapes or bumps from the floor
- Recreational Sports
- If you love playing volleyball or basketball in the pool, water should be between 3.5-4 feet deep to allow for standing up, swimming, and easy maneuverability
- Depth should be kept uniform throughout whatever you envision as the playing area to avoid anyone having an unfair advantage (which you will certainly be hearing about for a long time!)
- If you want to mainly use your pool to relax and lounge with your family or friends, water should come up past your waist, so 3.5-4 feet of water is ideal
- If your children cannot wait to practice elaborate dives in your pool, make sure that the water is at least 9 feet deep to protect their noggins from any collisions with the floor
- Diving is a dangerous activity because of the possibility of severe head injuries, and as a result diving boards may require a permit. Check your local laws before considering a diving board as your primary purpose for a pool.
Ready to Swim?
Ready to decide how deep your pool should be? We are happy to walk you through every step of the design process and ensure that your pool meets the needs of every member of your family and all of the activities you want a pool for. If you are ready to design the perfect pool for your home, contact the experts at Sunrise Pools & Spas. For more information on our services, contact us online or give us a call at 410-349-3852. To see examples of our work, check us out on social media on Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Pinterest, and Google+.