As the weather in Maryland heats up, many pool owners are growing increasingly excited for spring opening season. Whether you’ve opened your Maryland pool early or are waiting for Memorial Day weekend to make it official, we know that you’ll want to keep mosquitoes at bay while you’re enjoying life outdoors. Sunrise Premiere Pool Builders is here to educate you on how you can mosquito-proof your swimming pool this season.
Mosquitoes and Your Maryland Pool
Did you know that Maryland is home to 59 species of mosquitoes? In addition to being incredibly pesky, mosquitoes can transmit dangerous diseases like the West Nile and Zika viruses. Mosquitoes are attracted to water, but they are less likely to find your swimming pool inviting if the water is clean. This is why practicing proper pool maintenance plays a crucial role in your ability to enjoy your pool throughout the entire season without bothersome disruptions.
How to Deter Mosquitoes from Your Swimming Pool
While escaping mosquitoes entirely can be impossible during the heat of the season, the following methods will help deter them from lurking near your swimming pool:
- Keep your filter actively running each day for at least 3 to 4 hours, using a timer if necessary
- Keep your pool covered when you are not using it, especially in the evenings, to prevent chemicals from evaporating and bugs from getting in the water (click here to learn more about how to conserve water in your swimming pool)
- After rainfall, eliminate any standing water from the surface of the pool cover (mosquitoes prefer to lay their eggs in stagnant water)
- Keep your pool water properly chlorinated at all times to maintain disinfection levels and thwart the growth of mosquito larvae
- Remove all surface debris from the water as soon as possible using a skimmer
- Regularly clean the walls and interior surfaces of your swimming pool with a vacuum system or manual scrubber
Need Help Reopening Your Pool? Contact Sunrise Premiere Pool Builders Today
If you have any questions about your pool or want to schedule a site visit to get your pool project on the move, contact the professionals at Sunrise Premiere Pool Builders LLC by calling 410-349-3852 or clicking here today!
Check us out on Facebook, Twitter, Google+, Pinterest, and LinkedIn to keep up on our latest spas, custom pools, maintenance accessories and stay knowledgeable of the latest trends in the custom pool and spa industry. We are here to help you live in luxury at a price you can afford.